Friday, April 20, 2018

Artist Residency Post 9

This was my last visit to SJYA. Prior to visiting, i talked with Madi about what i should do on my last visit. We both came to the conclusion that bringing snacks and hanging out with the guys would be a good way to end it. By hanging out and letting them express ideas and thoughts about the class. When i arrived I gave the staff the name of the group of guys that had continuously been in my class that were most involved in creating work and being engaged. When they arrived in the room i handed out pieces of paper and asked them to write down what the class gave them, whether it was an escape from the place they were in, emotions they felt when working with clay or overall what the class was like for them. They all wrote notes expressing the feelings of relaxation and a release from stress and negativity. After they wrote i rewarded them with snacks as a parting gift and continued to hangout and talk with them. I was able to speak one on one with some of the guys since a few would walk around and talk about the music videos they had playing on the TV. I listened to what some of the guys had to say and encouraged them to follow their dreams and goal, and gave them bits of knowledge that i have learned throughout my life when i would stumble. When i went to leave they all shook my hand and thanked me for the class, snacks, and wished me well as i did the same, expressing to them that i beloved in every one of them and that they could achieve greatness if they put their mind to it. I left with a good feeling that i might have made an impact on a some young individuals future actions through the decisions they make and mindset/thoughts they have.



No comments:

Post a Comment